If you’ve been injured in a rollover accident involving a large truck, you may be entitled to compensation. Contact the law firm of Burg Simpson as soon as possible to find out your options free of charge.
According to truck accident statistics from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), nearly 4% of all fatal crashes in the United States involve vehicles that roll over. Around 78% of all rollover accidents involve some form of driver error. Whether a driver is operating a tractor-trailer at an excess speed or engaging in another reckless action, these serious crashes can have life-changing consequences for the people that get injured.
The emotional and physical pain and suffering that accident victims are forced to endure after being left with devastating injuries can be nearly unbearable. After being hurt in a large truck accident, an experienced personal injury attorney can help you fight for fair compensation for everything you’ve endured by filing a personal injury claim against the at-fault party or parties.
Our legal team at Burg Simpson has decades of experience taking on large trucking companies for victims of rollover accidents and many other types of truck accidents. We can help you recover fair compensation for your injuries and damages. Schedule a free consultation with our personal injury law firm today to see how our team can help you get justice.
Common Causes of Rollover Truck Accidents
Truck rollover accidents are reported every day in the United States. There are many cases where these crashes are preventable. The vast majority of rollover truck accidents are a result of some form of negligence. Commonly cited causes of truck rollover accidents include:
- Truck drivers: The majority of rollover truck accidents are caused by the actions of the truck drivers. Negligent truck driver actions include:
- Speeding: Driving too fast around curved roadways can cause a vehicle to topple over and come to rest, blocking several lanes.
- Impairment: All commercial vehicle drivers are required to maintain a blood alcohol content (BAC) level below 0.04 percent. Exceeding this limit can have serious consequences. Drivers who are impaired can cause a truck rollover accident by swerving recklessly and failing to maintain their speed. They may also take corners too sharply, which can cause the vehicle to tip over.
- Distractions: In the United States, trucking companies are prohibited from requiring the drivers of their vehicles to use handheld mobile phones or text while operating their vehicles. Unfortunately, distractions continue to play a large role in many accidents nationwide. When a truck driver is not paying attention to the road ahead, they may not see other vehicles or objects nearby. When a driver looks up at the road, they may then take sudden actions to avoid striking others nearby. As a result, they can swerve and cause a rollover accident.
- Inadequate cargo loading: It is critically important that a semi-truck is properly loaded with cargo. When a truck is not loaded properly, the center of gravity is off balance and can cause the truck to tip over. This is especially true for trucks that are carrying heavy loads. Cargo loading companies are required to load a specific amount of cargo onto the vehicle and do so in a specific, organized manner. When the cargo is not loaded properly and evenly distributed, it can cause the vehicle to shift and overturn. Additionally, cargo trailers that are overloaded may overturn more easily.
- Brake failure: When a truck experiences brake failure, it prevents the vehicle from being able to stop or slow down properly. This can cause it to lose control and tip over. Brake failure can be caused by a variety of factors, which can include mechanical problems, inclement weather, or even driver error.
- Accelerator jams: It is crucial that the accelerators are working correctly on semi-trucks. If they fail to function correctly, it can result in a vehicle being stuck at a high rate of speed. When semi-truck drivers are unable to decelerate their vehicles, it can lead to a truck rollover accident. This is especially true when traveling around curved roadways and in inclement weather conditions.
If another person's negligence has caused a rollover accident that left you with injuries, you may have legal options available. Our rollover truck accident lawyer at Burg Simpson can help you protect your legal rights and take action against the responsible party.
Liability in a Truck Rollover Accident
Liability for your rollover truck accident will generally be determined by what caused the accident to take place. Since several factors can contribute to a rollover crash, it is important to identify what caused your accident in order to determine who all is liable. In general, there are several parties who can be held liable following a rollover truck accident. These include:
- Truck driver: Those who drive vehicles in the commercial trucking industry are required to adhere to strict policies, practices, and standards. When they fail to do so, they can cause serious injuries to others. When an accident is caused by a truck driver who was negligent while behind the wheel, they can be held liable for any resulting damages caused to an injured victim.
- Trucking company: Depending on the circumstances surrounding the crash, a trucking company may be held liable for a truck rollover accident if it is determined that the crash was caused by negligence on the part of the company. If it can be proven that the trucking company failed to adequately maintain the vehicle, that they were aware of dangerous conditions on the route, or that trucking companies engaged in negligent practices while hiring their drivers, they can be held liable for the resulting damages in a rollover truck accident.
- Maintenance company: Poor maintenance of large vehicles can have devastating consequences. A maintenance company may be held liable for a rollover truck accident if they fail to properly maintain a truck or make the necessary repairs to its components. It is crucial that trucks are maintained routinely to ensure stability and safety. To prevent rollover accidents, it is critical to routinely inspect the tires, suspension, and brakes on commercial trucks. When maintenance companies fail to do so, or they make inadequate repairs, it can result in tire blowouts and other malfunctions that cause a serious rollover accident that causes devastation.
- Cargo loading company: A cargo loading company may be held liable for a rollover truck crash if they are negligent when it comes to loading or securing the cargo onto the truck tractor trailer. If they fail to load in a responsible manner and load a hazardous cargo load onto the vehicle, it could result in the truck becoming unstable and tipping over. If they fail to do so and an accident occurs as a result, they may be held responsible for the damages caused. This type of accident can be incredibly catastrophic and sometimes leads to serious injuries or death for truck drivers or other motorists sharing the road.
- Drivers of other motor vehicles: Another driver who is negligent while operating their vehicle can also be held liable for a rollover truck accident. These cases generally involve drivers who engage in acts of negligence that result in truck drivers having to swerve or make abrupt maneuvers in order to avoid colliding with them. This can include instances where a driver suddenly cuts in front of the truck or merges into their lane too quickly, resulting in a truck driver having to slam on their brakes or swerve into another lane. These actions can directly cause a truck driver to lose control and roll over.
Unfortunately, the negligence of these and other parties can cause serious accidents that result in significant injuries for those involved.
Common Injuries Following Truck Rollover Accidents
Due to the very nature of these accidents, the chances of suffering significant injuries are dramatically increased when trucks are involved. Regrettably, many injury crashes send those involved to area hospitals, where they must undergo immediate and extensive medical care. Common injuries reported in rollover accidents involving trucks include:
- Spinal cord injuries that result in some degree of paralysis
- Trauma to the head and/or traumatic brain injuries
- Significant bone fractures
- Severe cuts and lacerations
- Neck injuries that impact range of motion
- Internal injuries to the spleen, lungs, or kidneys
- Severe burn injuries
Dealing with severe injuries due to rollover accidents is not something you can prepare for ahead of time. These things happen unexpectedly and often bring catastrophic financial consequences related to medical expenses, vehicle repairs, lost wages and more.
After a commercial motor vehicle tips over and causes an accident that leaves you harmed, you must reach out to a truck rollover accident lawyer immediately. You may have legal options available to help you protect your rights and best interests. Our law firm can help you file a personal injury claim to recover the compensation you need for your damages.
Filing a Personal Injury Claim for Compensation
After having suffered injuries in a rollover truck accident, the last thing you want to worry about is navigating the legal system in order to pursue a claim for compensation. Thankfully, our rollover truck accident lawyer at Burg Simpson can take this burden off your shoulders as you focus on getting the medical care that you need.
While working on your rollover truck accident case, you can depend on our skilled and efficient legal team to perform all of the necessary tasks relating to your case on your behalf. Our dedicated truck accident lawyers will go straight to the scene of your accident, gather evidence and conduct all subsequent investigations to establish who is liable for your injuries.
Our team will seek the opinions of experts to help support your case. We will get copies of your medical records, police report, witness statements, and other evidence and information to build your claim.
Our personal injury law firm will handle communication with the insurance company on your behalf. Our truck accident attorney will negotiate for fair compensation with the insurance company so you have the money you need to cover everything you’ve had to pay for, including:
- Immediate medical expenses
- Long-term medical expenses
- Lost wages and lost earnings
- Vehicle repair costs
- Pain and suffering
- And more
If we cannot get the liable party or parties to agree to a fair settlement, our team will not hesitate to pursue a civil trial to ensure you are able to get justice.
While working with our team at Burg Simpson, you can expect that we will provide you with full-service legal representation with no upfront out-of-pocket costs. Our team will handle your personal injury case on a contingency fee basis, so you can focus on recovering from your injuries without worrying about covering attorney fees and other expenses upfront.
It is crucial that you reach out to our truck accident lawyers right away to see how our team can help you protect your legal rights by seeking compensation for your injuries and damages.
Help After Fatal Crashes
If your loved one has died as a result of a fatal truck rollover crash, our truck accident attorney will help your family protect your legal rights and hold the negligent driver accountable. In addition to the damages listed above, our team will seek fair compensation for funeral expenses, burial expenses, and more.
Call Our Truck Accident Lawyer Today
Without a doubt, truck rollovers are incredibly devastating. After being hurt in a rollover truck accident due to another driver's negligence, it is strongly recommended that you enlist the help of a rollover accident attorney right away. An experienced lawyer will be able to investigate your case thoroughly and provide advice on how best to pursue legal action against the responsible party.
At Burg Simpson, we are dedicated to helping our clients
stand up for their rights and receive compensation for any damages sustained as a result of someone else’s negligence. Our team has decades of combined experience helping injured parties take on even the largest national trucking companies to ensure justice is served. We pride ourselves on being available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, with fast response times so that we can start working towards justice for our clients right away. If you were involved in an auto accident and believe you may be eligible for compensation, contact us today at 888-895-2080 to schedule a free consultation to get started on your case.